Skip to content

Derbyshire County Council provides a range of support and guidance relating to travel and transport for children and young people with SEND.

School transport for children with special educational needs and /or disabilities

The council can organise transport for students who meet the requirements as set out in their transport policies:

Home to school transport policy for children of compulsory school age

Post-16 transport to school

Both policies detail children and young people's entitlement to transport, including children with special educational needs and/or disabilities who are Derbyshire residents.

If you already have an Education, Health and Care Plan, you can also contact your local SEND Officer.

Independent Travel Training is an initiative where a travel trainer works with a young person on a one-to-one basis to travel independently on a chosen route to school or college. Independent Travel Training is currently delivered via LIFT Training, hosted by National Star. You can speak to your school's SENCo or education provider for more information. Apply for training directly via the National Star website.

The Derbyshire County Council website provides further information on school transport, support if you are in receipt of benefits and the independent travel training scheme. Complete the Application for Transport Assistance form, or if you require any further support, please contact the School Transport team on 01629 537479.

Other travel assistance

Blue Badge Scheme helps disabled people to access goods and services by allowing them to park close to their destination.

The Derby Access card (sometimes referred to as the CredAbility Card or a Nimbus Card) translates your disability/impairment into symbols that highlight the barriers you face and the reasonable adjustments you might need. This then informs providers quickly and discreetly about the support you need and may gain you access to things like concessionary ticket prices and complex reasonable adjustments without having to go into lots of personal detail.

Derbyshire Gold Card is our travel, discount and library card for older people and people with certain disabilities.

Euan’s Guide provides information on accessible places and facilities for people with disabilities in Derbyshire.
Euan's Guide Social Media:  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest

Special assistance at UK airports

Special assistance is also available at most UK airports and helps people with mobility and non-mobility issues. Information for Birmingham, Manchester and East Midlands airports can be found on their websites.