Skip to content

Our Adult Care service provides a Welfare Rights team who can help to ensure you are claiming the correct entitlement to benefits. They can also help you to challenge benefit decisions and represent you at benefit appeals.

The team can be contacted Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, between 11am and 4pm.
Telephone: 01629 531535

You can find documents and information for welfare benefits on the Derbyshire County Council website.

The Citizens Advice website has information about benefits, as well as debt and money problems, employment and other matters.

The benefits system for working-age people is undergoing a lot of changes. Universal Credit is slowly replacing certain low-income benefits, but it is not yet fully in place, and existing benefits may not change over to Universal Credit until between 2020 and 2024. Always seek advice to check your entitlements.

Benefits may be paid based on:

  • your National Insurance record
  • your needs - for instance, extra costs caused by disability
  • whether your income is too low
  • and a combination of the above

Example of possible benefits

If you are aged 16 plus and have a long-term health condition or disability that affects your ability to live independently, you may be able to claim Personal Independence Payment.

If you are under 16 and have a health condition or disability that means you have more care or supervision needs than that of other children your age, you may be able to claim Disability Living Allowance.

If you are unable to work owing to illness/disability, you may be able to claim Statutory Sick Pay or Employment and Support Allowance - and possibly a top-up of Universal Credit.

If you work and you are on low pay, you may be entitled to Universal Credit.

If you were injured at work or have an industrial disease caused by work, you may be able to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefits.

If you were injured serving in the Armed Forces, you may qualify under the War Pensions Scheme or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.

If you care for someone who is disabled, you may be able to claim Carer's Allowance and possible a top-up of Universal Credit.

If you are pregnant or have just given birth, you may be entitled to Maternity Benefits.

If you need help with the rent, you may be able to claim Universal Credit (which includes help with rent costs) - if you are responsible for 3 or more children, or you are in temporary accommodation or in certain accommodation where support, counselling, etc. is provided, you may qualify for Housing Benefit.

If you are liable to pay Council Tax and you are on a low income, you may claim Council Tax Support from your local council. Use the GOV UK Council Tax Reduction checker for contact details in your locality.

Even if you cannot claim any benefit payments, you may be able to get National Insurance credits (which will help with your eventual pension) if you are unable to work or you are a carer. The Citizen's Advice website also has more information about National Insurance.

Also, if you are disabled, you may be entitled to other help, for example, you might get cheaper public transport, parking concessions and practical help with care from your local council. You also have the right not to be discriminated against at work, or when you receive goods or services.

Derbyshire Discretionary Fund

The Derbyshire Discretionary Fund provides emergency financial help to residents in crisis who need an urgent payment for food, heating or travel.

Applications to the Derbyshire Discretionary Fund need to be made via telephone on 01629 533399, Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm.

Free School Meals

Could your child be eligible for free schools meals? In these difficult times, we want to make sure you're getting al the help you're due. To find out if your child (or young person themselves, where appropriate) is eligible to apply for free school meals, complete the Free School Meals application form.

If you would like to speak to someone about free school meals, please contact the Derbyshire County Council Free School Meals team on 01629 536481.

Universal Infant Free School Meals

From September 2014, all children in reception, year 1 and year 2 in state-funded schools in England started to receive a school meal at lunchtime, free of charge. You do not need to register your child for this. Please contact the school for further clarification or contact Derbyshire County Council on 01629 536481.

Related documents


Information on other websites