Skip to content


The law says children must receive an efficient full-time education from the age of 5, suitable to their age, ability, aptitude and any special educational needs they may have.

Most parents send their children to school, but some parents choose to take on full responsibility and educate at home, which is called Elective Home Education (EHE).

You, as parents, may be thinking of EHE for a variety of reasons.  We would always suggest you keep in mind whether you can offer an education to meet your child’s specific needs – that is why we recommend parents try to resolve any concerns with a school before beginning EHE simply as a response.  If your child becomes home educated, they cannot remain on a school register.  Deciding to educate children at home requires your own resources as well as enthusiasm, commitment and patience. It can be rewarding and challenging and your provision, as parents, needs to meet your legal duty.

Advice and support

We suggest you contact the EHE team here at Derbyshire County Council (DCC), as we will always try to offer impartial guidance and let you know of other help for your family before any decision needs to be made.  Please note:

  • DCC does not receive EHE funding for practical materials or resources.
  • be assured each young person and family is considered on an individual basis.
  • if your child has never been registered at a school, you do not need to let anyone about a decision to home educate. However, it could help you to let us know and to check the current position about children not in school.
  • establishing a positive relationship with EHE families is important to us – this supports a better understanding about parents’ education provision. For that reason, you’ll be offered contact with professionals who can share their experience and understanding of home education. This provision can be very diverse and about meeting individuals’ needs.
  • if your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan, the EHE contact will also incorporate a statutory review of this. Please be aware that specific consent is required from the Local Authority to remove a child from a Special School in order to become home educated.

Further information about Derbyshire’s approach to EHE can be found on the Derbyshire County Council website

If you have any questions about EHE please email:

The Department for Education (DfE) website has guidance for parents.